We’ve got plenty of reviews coming up on OD – a backlog of stuff that’s been held up for one reason or other in fact – and tons to update from ODv1 and bring into line. But how?
When I first started Oh Drat, I didn’t score things with numbers, or even pros and cons. After a while we moved to a pros/cons and marks out of five (well, ten really considering we have half marks), and then with the update to ODv2 the boxout made things even easier to see at a glance how we score things at a glance.
Lately, though, I’m starting to think that a quantitative scoring system might be more trouble than it’s worth. So much of the thought process behind that score is about weighing up value vs competition and overall cost that often the score that we give a piece of gear or the latest lovely software is outdated as soon as the market changes or time goes by and prices change. We mitigate this by indicating the price at review, but maybe that’s not enough.
So… in an effort to keep improving OD I want your opinions! We have some ideas and I’d really love for you to chip in with your suggestions; ultimately what you guys want to see has the biggest influence on how we do things round these parts, so take a look and see what you think to these ideas:
- Removing the score altogether
- Keeping the score, perhaps changing the grading system up
- Refining the Pros and Cons system somehow (how?)
- Introducing awards for products that excel in specific areas
- An idea of the competition you could also look at and how it shapes up
- A simple short paragraph summary for the ‘too long, didn’t read’ crowd
Hey, like this post? Why not share it with a buddy?Tweet